Friday, November 19, 2010

In Memory of Hank (Henry) W. Roberts

My Grandpa & Grandma (March 2005) They were married over 50 years!!!

Grandpa & Martha's "Engagement" Pic

My Grandpa & I at Snyder Park (he got me into golfing :) )


Grandpa's 80th Birthday at the Shriner's Club




My 26th Birthday





My Grandpa in his USMC uniform



Last November 20th my Grandpa passed away. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in 3 parts of his body: liver, lungs, and bones. I remember crying in the shower a few days before he passed away because I knew his death was coming near. He was the best Grandpa a little girl could have! He always called to check up on me to see how my classes were going, we'd get together and do dinner, or go golfing. That was a hoot...me on the golf course, that is! Tears were just falling as I stood in the shower because soon I would face the fact that I wouldn't get those phone calls anymore. No Grandpa on the other end of the line saying, "Hello Ash! How's classes going? When can you come over and do dinner?" I can still hear his voice and I will treasure that forever. It's amazing how God works. When I got out of the shower that day I was crying, my phone rang. It was my Grandpa calling me for the last time. He was wondering when I was coming over. Four days later my Grandpa passed away. I believe God gave me that one last phone call because he knew how much I treasured his calls and how bad I needed to have one last phone call. I thank God for that as I will always carry that last call in my heart. I miss him terribly but I am holding on to the good memories: me working at the Dairy Queen he used to own when I was a child. He'd pay me in ice cream and Mr. Misty's :p What 5 year old girl wouldn't like that!?! Plus I got to work the drive thru which was so much fun. I even had my own lil' stool. I will treasure the memory of staying up late and watching "Johnny Carson" with him when everyone else would go to bed, or the delicious ice cream cakes he'd make for me, and all the hugs, kisses, and love he'd given me! As I walk across the stage this May graduating from Wittenberg, I will pause for a moment and think of my Grandpa who graduated from Witt in '54. I love n miss you Grandpa!

*hugs*
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment